- Poach forced rhubarb until tender, then fill a pavlova with mounds of whipped cream and top with chunks of bright pink rhubarb.
- Stir pieces of preserved ginger through poached rhubarb and drizzle with syrup from the ginger jar. Serve with ice cream and thin ginger biscuits.
- Instant trifle: poached rhubarb in layers with custard and whipped cream.
- Add chunks of rhubarb to apple crumble and serve with hot custard.
- Poach rhubarb with cider and brown sugar, then puree and serve with grilled mackerel or pork chops.
- Scatter pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachio seeds over vanilla ice cream.
- Make a salad from baby leaves, chunks of cooked beetroot, soft goat’s cheese and pomegranate.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds over slices of peeled oranges and scatter with chopped fresh mint and use as a side dish to accompany Middle-eastern dishes.
- Make red jelly from pomegranate juice and top with ice cream and a scattering of pomegranate seeds.
… January King Cabbage
(This photo is of a print which you can buy here.)
- Stir cooked, shredded cabbage into mashed potatoes, then dot with a knob of butter.
- Sautee shredded cabbage with onions and sprinkle with caraway seeds – really good served with pork.
- Fry cabbage with bacon lardoons and thinly sliced garlic.
- Finely shred cabbage and stir-fry with garlic, ginger, and a dash of sesame oil – serve with pan-seared salmon and rice.
- Steam or boil shredded cabbage until tender, then stir in a knob of butter and just enough double cream to coat. Sprinkle with black pepper.
….and my favourite – Purple-Sprouting Brocs!
- Lightly steam, then drizzle with an Oriental dressing of sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil and Thai Fish Sauce
- Saute garlic, chilli and anchovies in olive oil, then add broccoli, chopped into 3cm lengths, and cook until tender. Serve over hot cooked pasta.
- Steam broccoli until tender, then sprinkle with lemon juice and lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil, and Parmesan shavings.
- Stir-fry broccoli with tiger or King prawns, chilli and garlic.
- Steam broccoli and top with chunks of Roquefort. YUM.